Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No iCloud Lock Discussion

There is no legitimate, feasible, solution for iCloud lock. We believe that iCloud lock is a GOOD THING overall and reduces theft. Any posts asking about circumventing iCloud lock will be deleted.
2 of 2 < >

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPhone 7/8 no ear speaker after screen replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 7/8 no ear speaker after screen replacement

Has anyone else ran into an issue with replacing screens on i7 and i8 plus where the EAR spaeker doesn't work after the screen replacement? I had this happen to me today on an i8 plus (my first one). I was very diligent and delicate while removing it not to flex the cables too much and not separating the micro soldered joints while removing it. I have seen this happen on the i7 a few times too. I am aware of the small black tape that needs to be transferred to prevent any shorts on the screen assembly. I have replaced many i7 screens and had this happen once before and again today on my first i8. Everything on the flex worked EXCEPT the ear speaker. I remove them by using a hot air gun (very low temp) to soften the adhesive to make it come out easier and i use a plastic spudger to separate it from the frame and use my fingers to pull from the left side (oriented from top back of the screen). The same way I have performed this successfully many times. I have seen other techs have this problem too. I checked the 4 gold connectors on it to be sure the small springs that need to be connected were touching to get power to the speaker. I also checked under the microscope to visually inspect the joints that are soldered together and they appeared intact. I was unable to test anything on the board due to time constraints. In the past i have seen that changing the flex several times will sometimes restore the spreaker function. There was no visible damage to the FPC on the logic board. I suspect that I am causing damage to the flex somehow but haven't isolated how it is happening. Has anyone else had this problem and based on what I have said about how I remove the flex is there something obvious that I am doing wrong that I can correct. I always disconnect the battery first and reconnect it very last before testing the phone. I also fully reassemble the device and have ALL connectors in place before testing. Software is up to date as of today. I test the ear speaker by making a phone call and using the voice memo app. Checked the volume levels too. Loud speaker and proximity sensor are both functional. Yes the ear speaker was working before I replaced the screen. Thanks for your thoughts!

I know on Xperia z3's if you use too much heat the ear speaker just packs in working. I'm not sure if the same happens here. It used to happen to me that often I just ended up replacing them with the screen, no visual damage to the speaker either so god only knows. I'd try another speaker just to rule that out.

Comment

Lol only Louis could code himself in as god

Comment

We don't do a lot of general repair, however I was trolled by the power/vol issue after iOS11---the power/vol button would not work to lock/unlock the phone after screen change. WTF. It ended up being a date/time issue. I was pretty surprised that time/date could inactivate the lock/unlock feature of the power flex, but long press to turn it off still works. What a troll. Since then that has become a common fault. I'd make sure that something weird like that isn't going on with this ear speaker issue. If not, then see if replacing it solves--if so then you know it was damage to the part. Let us know what happens!

Comment

That’s very interesting Jessa. I will not be seeing this particular device again because I made a deal with the customer to have it replaced with her carrier and I unfortunately didn’t have any other new parts yet to test on it. HOWEVER I did notice that the time was wrong on her device when I was testing it. It was saying exactly 4:00pm even though it was a little after 11 am. I’m sure I will see this again in the future so I will be sure to check the clock and update this post if I have further information.

Comment

Well ,,thanks

Comment

So I just saw another i7 with no ear speaker after screen replacement. The exact same symptoms as statediscussed before. This time I wasn't the tech who worked on it. The flex assembly was replaced and still no speaker function. All other functions worked but speaker. Also did full factory reset and no change. I'm hoping to get this solved soon. This one has been shipped to apple before I could look at it. I suspect there may be a line that is getting damaged or shorted. Is someone willing to take some readings on a known good i7 with working speaker and post them here? The next one I see I intend to test the board with my multimeter. Thanks.

Comment

I be willing to help here i have a good iPhone 7 with all functions working. If you let me know what types of measurements you like me to take and where on the board. Then we go for it

Comment

• BigN8
                  BigN8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. I am inspecting the flex traces to identify if they have been broken. My post the other day was fixed after replacing the flex and speaker. The new flex with old speaker didn’t work but New flex and New speaker did work

On the iphone 7 4.7", the metal part is held on the four sides to the plastic housing by super weak adhesive. I accidentally pushed metal part in slightly and it would not work afterwards, even after I pulled the metal part back into place. Replacing the ear speaker worked.

Comment

Working...
                X