Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No iCloud Lock Discussion

There is no legitimate, feasible, solution for iCloud lock. We believe that iCloud lock is a GOOD THING overall and reduces theft. Any posts asking about circumventing iCloud lock will be deleted.
2 of 2 < >

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPhone dead after ultrasonic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone dead after ultrasonic

I’m not looking for advice to fix this device because I have already shipped it back as a no fix. I’m really just looking for information to help me understand how these iPhones work and what causes them to be dead.
    I received an iPhone 6 Plus and was told it a bad camera and something wrong with a corner of the screen and the Touch ID didn’t work. She also told me it was still working after it went swimming in a pocket. I said I would look at it and she sent it in.
    I diagnosed it’s charging as not normal but wasn’t too big a deal because it was just a bit off and I figured a battery may solve it. It also had half backlight and no Touch ID. Oh and she also said it had been sitting for about six months. When I opened it I saw heavy corrosion on the top half of the board but the connectors were good. I pulled the board out and saw heavy liquid damage on the underside. I first cleaned gently with a toothbrush and 91% then put it in my cheap 30$ ultrasonic cleaner. It ran a few minutes , cleaned it again with alcohol dried it and put it back in the housing. Now it’s brain dead..... it would take very little power when prompting to boot and had no signs of life.
    Did my cheap cleaner really euthanize my board? I felt bad and tried to find an obvious fault but failed. Will someone comment on this and speculate what happened I would really appreciate any thoughts.

This is a good example of why many of us treat water damaged devices as candidates for data recovery only. Trying to repair an iPhone board with heavy corrosion for the sake of sending back a working phone is just asking for warranty headaches in the future. It is very likely that the only thing holding it together was the rust & corrosion, and putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner removed whatever was left of some critical connection somewhere.

Comment

I agree with Aaron , we only do water treatment for data and if the phone is in a usable state after we finish thats a bonus as it mite not stay that way with other problems arising in the future. We used to use the cheep ultrasonics but they do cause damage if used to much, and when using on delicate boards like water damaged boards can quite often kill them. We invested £400 in a large (10ltr) cavitek ultrasonic cleaner and have had no problems since. You dont have to buy the branded to get quality, we looked around and found a company in the uk called allendale-ultrasonics, they do good quality cavitek machines for a good price (they sell spares to which is always a good sign). The machine easily pays for its self in no time.

Comment

Yes--the components were held on by spit. Take off any chip surrounded by water damage on a board and you'll see that it is mud underneath and what remains of some of the balls are just apple cores with the majority of the ball pulverized due to corrosion. It's not surprising that any ultrasonic will kill a board in that state. My advice with a customer like that is to bring them around and show them for their own eyes what their phone looks like under the microscope, then ask them if they want to put electricity into a device that looks like that, or even money into repairing it. Everyone can see the obvious answer is hell no!

Comment

Lol iv had some customers that still want to use the phone after being in the sea and seeing how screwed up it is. If that's the case I tell them any new problem is chargeable and after they have come back a second time a week later they usually take my advice and get rid of it.

Comment

Working...
          X