Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No iCloud Lock Discussion

There is no legitimate, feasible, solution for iCloud lock. We believe that iCloud lock is a GOOD THING overall and reduces theft. Any posts asking about circumventing iCloud lock will be deleted.
2 of 2 < >

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

Iphone 6 Plus Touch ID issue after water damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a nightmare--this is board repair! If it were easy, then everyone would do it. Over time, with experience this job would be about 10 minutes total---you'd quickly notice the corrosion at the touch id area, you'd clean the filter pads and add a wire, then just pull off any bad looking caps. It would take maybe 5 minutes, then you'd test to see if touch id works. If not, you'd move on because you'd remember your own rule "never work on water damaged devices to make them be a phone again!"

Every board teaches you something---this one has taught you how to use diode mode, understand a short circuit vs an open circuit, taught you what nostuff is, and the technical challenge of placing small dudes on the board on top of oxidized pads. That's quite a bit to learn off of one board.

In reality, whatever insult that lead to the damage at the home button connector to begin with was likely enough to create matching damage to the fingerprint sensor itself---and that's not a replaceable part.

If you wanted to continue to spend time on this, you could conclude "Okay, I don't have a highway problem if my diode mode readings are good---so if I am missing function, do I actually have power being sent to the system?" Look on the schematic to see what do you think provides actual power for the fingerprint sensor? Hint: The fingerprint sensor is called 'mesa' How could you test to see if this power voltage is actually being produced?

Comment

Yes that repair is not the most easy one to begin with and yes i've learned a lot on it but my goal is to make it a phone again because it's for me and not for a client. Business wise yes It'll take too much time to be a profitable repair.

Do you think it's U1503 MESA BOOST that use PP15V5_MESA line ? But if it was that IC, i'll have wrong value to the connector ?
      Or maybe the U2100 that use PP1V8_MESA but again i'll have wrong connector value ?

Comment

for the touch issue, It sometime reboot itself, It's related also to the meson chip ?

Comment

Yes it could well be

Comment

Do you know where I can find the schematic for the home button itself ? I can’t find it in the schematic

Comment

It's not in the schematic, what are you wanting to do with the home button ?.

Comment

Originally posted by crea2k View Post
                It's not in the schematic, what are you wanting to do with the home button ?.
                check if cap/filter/coil are ok and continuity.

Comment

Try this https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4pBKv4tZI...2BSolution.jpg

Comment

If you want a full schemetic with lines and voltages you need to join up @ http://itesla.solutions They have the full schemetic on there. I can't share it though or il have my account shut down

Comment

• yauuik
                      yauuik commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Admin doesn't want me to join the the paid subscription, I don't know why, seems to be a very closed community.

ok thanks I had already found this picture and tested all the lines on it and all have continuity and the values are also correct. If I had an issue with the U2100 the number on the connector pin shouldn't be correct right ?

Comment

You can test if u2100 is working just by checking the voltages or comparing diode measurements to another board

Comment

When you started working on this liquid damaged board the only problem you said it had was touch ID and you said it only had very focal water damage at the home button connector.

Now you are starting to see other problems. Here's a question---have you done the first step with any water damaged board? Taken off the EMI shields and put it through a sweep frequency ultrasonic cleaner?
                        Also gentle reminder---because water damage affects boards in a way where there can be 'mud' under any chip that is exposed to water, we don't recommend trying to make a water damaged board become a reliable phone again, although water damaged boards are great projects for learning board repair.

If you have no touch ID and you had serious corrosion including a short on components near the home button area, and this was followed by a struggle to place components, then this is what I would be thinking.

"Due to inexperience, this board likely is not robust in the repair at the home button connector, and we can't assume that all corrosion was cleared and all components got put back on correctly, so the source of the problem is still likely at the connector until inexperience is ruled out."

So you need to rule out inexperience. To do that, grab any board like a 4/4s and practice removing a connector and all the little guys around it, then putting it back and adding back the little guys. Practice working the pads so they are puffy pillows. Figure out how to get components to flow into place without using so much heat that you roast the other side of the board, etc. When you have this done, then windshield wiper the area of the board you're trying to fix to make it completely new looking with new connector and replacing any surrounding components that have any signs of water. With experience, that job takes about 15 minutes. After that, we can rule out 'the noob effect' and be sure that your problem lies elsewhere.

Comment

I've checked very carefully and even if i'am a noob you can trust me on that no other corrosion. Of course I removed all shield and everything is clear and new. I also check all components if there were not moving.
                          I don't have ultrasonic cleaner but again the water damage are very narrow and I don't see the need. For the touch id i'am pretty sure it come from the line MESA_TO_BOOST_EN because i have a voltage drop on that line.

Comment

The problem is without having an ultrasonic cleaner you can have corrosion under the ics and not even be able to see it. That's where the ultrasonic cleaner comes in to clean out the corrosion from places you can't see.

Have you got a microscope ?, if you tilt the board on It's side can you see if there are any balls under u2100 missing ?.
                            is there any corrosion under it ?.

if you touch it with tweezers does it move ?.

if its working it should output 1.8v to fl2133
                            Last edited by crea2k; 02-12-2018, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Yes i've tilted under microscope and I can see the clean balls without any signs of corrosion. I touched them firmly and no signs of movement

Comment

Working...
                              X