Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

No iCloud Lock Discussion

There is no legitimate, feasible, solution for iCloud lock. We believe that iCloud lock is a GOOD THING overall and reduces theft. Any posts asking about circumventing iCloud lock will be deleted.
2 of 2 < >

Announcement

Welcome to the NEW iPad Rehab Forum! Everyone is welcome to read posts and learn for free. If you'd like to post your own question on the forum, please click "register" above or go here: http://forum.mendonipadrehab.com/register to enroll as a paid subscriber for $29/mo for unlimited access to our forum support and private signature failure section.
See more
See less

iPhone 6+ Home button inop, weeks after Touch IC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 6+ Home button inop, weeks after Touch IC

I'm working on a warranty job for a 6+ Touch IC I replaced early in December, they said about 3 weeks later the home button stopped working. After charging the battery up I'm finding that the home button will activate on its own randomly, but only while plugged in. A couple of filters and caps around the HB connector were borderline so I re-secured those. Tried a new button & flex (on an entirely functional test screen assembly), still no change. Diode mode readings on the connector match other known working iPhone 6+ devices I have available.

To me, the key to the whole thing is that it only activates on its own while plugged in.

At this point, I want to be certain as to whether the home button issue is related to my original repair. The only other nearby connection I see is D21 on the PMIC. However, if something was shorted or loose in that area wouldn't my diode mode readings indicate that? Is it possible that I damaged the PMIC somehow during the repair?

Edit: Touch ID DOES work
    Last edited by AaronH; 01-05-2018, 01:36 AM.

The other side of the board should also be considered, especially all the little dudes near the home bottom FPC connector, the LDO is all underfilled. Touch ID and home button function is one of the common side effects when the other side of board underfil black glue is not cleared or too much heat causing underfilled to rise taking up the components with and making things loosey goosey. Diode mode readings are only good to check resistant to the ground and if those resistance measurements are close or matching to known good that mostly is saying it's most likely all there and the next thing is to measure for signal power to the FPC connector. Maybe also long screw? Maybe the flex connector on back screen is bad?

Comment

Thanks tinker_techguy

The first thing I did was check all around the home button connector for any loose capacitors, filters, or diodes. Although a couple of these components showed some wiggle while removing the underfill material, everything has been secured back in its place.

Touch ID and both cameras are working properly so the LDOs north of the HB connector are not suspect. Signal power is present, allowing Touch ID to operate.

Also checked for long screw damage, all clear.

It was tested with an entirely different, known working screen assembly with a home button, transfer flex, back plate, and proximity flex all installed. Literally every function of this phone works flawlessly except for the home button.

Comment

• tinker_techguy
        tinker_techguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Test to confirm if it’s the button itself. Put button on another device to test home button action or get another button and test home button action on original device having issues and see if home button action works.

If it’s button check close for flex damages or possibly something like turtle ic in the iphone 7 could be fault.

How did you replace the dudes that wiggled? And which dudes were these exactly? Did you take them off, make puffy pillows, and then solder them back on?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessa_the_Professa View Post
        How did you replace the dudes that wiggled? And which dudes were these exactly? Did you take them off, make puffy pillows, and then solder them back on?
        C2100 and FL2150. Yeah, I removed them, re-tinned the pads, and re-soldered them in place.

Comment

I'm really hung up on the fact that the phone will activate the home button on its own, but mostly only while plugged in. Because of this, it will only fully boot if prompted by the power button. If it is prompted to boot via USB it will go into recovery mode.

Edit: Mostly only while plugged in. It is currently opening Siri while I am testing it unplugged
          Last edited by AaronH; 01-05-2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I would do rule #1 here—you don’t have a board problem until you know you don’t have a parts problem

Comment

Rule #1 was done ad nauseum before ever asking for help on this one.

Originally posted by AaronH View Post

It was tested with an entirely different, known working screen assembly with a home button, transfer flex, back plate, and proximity flex all installed. Literally every function of this phone works flawlessly except for the home button.
              This issue has been
              - unequivocally
              - scientifically
              - triple-blind taste test
              - 3rd-party objective survey
              - Zagat rated
              - MFI certified
              - with cheese

..... verified as not a parts problem, using multiple configurations of fully tested & working housings, power & volume flexes, batteries, charging ports, cameras, and screen assemblies including known working home buttons, transfer flexes, proximity flexes, digitizers and LCDs.

Comment

Okay, then on the basis of lifted little peckers near home button connector id look hard for any pin inconsistencies in the connector and I’d replace anything near there on the menu key line.

Comment

Thanks Jessa, I ended up also replacing C2167 and R2160 since the menu key circuit is so simple. Still no dice, which to me really only leaves the CPU and/or PMIC somehow at fault. Unfortunately this particular customer is less patient than I am, so instead of chasing further I'm refunding the Touch IC job as a no-fix. Win some lose some I guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X